Monday, October 12, 2009

Will the 90's of Yesterday be the 2010's of Tomorrow?

Let’s see if you know who I’m talking about?

He left as the winningest coach in team history, their Quarterback missed much of the season due to injury and their future relied on a top draft pick.

Well?

Chuck Knox was the coach, Dave Krieg was the Quarterback and yes … Dan McGwire was the future!

These are my first memories of the Seahawks and what should follow throughout the 90s was a constant reminder that my team sucked.

There is no one more emotionally attached to their favorite team then a young kid. How many grown men do you see walking around wearing sweats with their teams colors or one of those huge winter jackets with their team on it and trick or treating as their favorite player? Young kids literally wear their teams on their sleeves. I didn’t do that but I was so emotionally attached to my team that when they lost a close game I cried.

I remember this one game. It was the Seahawks vs. the 49ers. I was a Hawks fan and my brother was a Niners fan. Dave Krieg was scrambling and had gotten a much needed 1st down that would have allowed Seattle to run the clock out and hold on to a 22-17 win. Instead some Niner had stripped Kreig of the ball and recovered, which allowed Steve “ %^&*#ing” Bono to drive the Niners to victory. I was so pissed off I cried and all my brother could do was throw it in my face. Funny thing about that fumble was that it put Kreig at the top of the all-time list for career fumbles!!!!

I think that loss can be summed up in two words for the entire decade; lost opportunities.

For example the in the 1991 draft Seattle took a 6'8 QB out of San Diego State Univeristy by the name of Dan McGwire. They could've used a Running Back but they passed on Ricky Watters. Their Defensive line was aging and Ted Washington was available. Just imagine Washington and Cortez Kennedy jamming the middle of the D-Linees. They even passed on Brett Favre, need i say more?

While preparing this blog I think that I've found a scapegoat, Tom Flores. Flores was general manager of the Seahawks and was one of the culprits responsible for drafting McGwire. When Knox quit Flores named himself head coach. I'll admit that I was excited that he would be the coach. The guy had won two Super Bowls while coaching the Raiders, I think that anyone would be excited about bringing in those types of credentials but look who else was hired in 1992: Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Dennis Green and Bobby Ross all of those guys turned around their programs while Tom Flores went 2-14, 6-10 and 6-10. I might use him but there are plenty of other guys ... I'll let you be the judge.

So after suffering through the injuries of last year’s 4-12 debacle and seeing how the injury bug has hit our foundation along with this year’s slow start it makes me wonder… are the 90s of yesterday the 2010s of tomorrow?

I sure hope not.

- Gaerts -

No comments:

Post a Comment