Sunday, February 28, 2010

Stasis Completed

I’ve been in a writing hiatus. Actually more like a writing stasis. That’s what happens when you are looking for a new job I suppose, writing takes a back seat. But I’m back! And I have a couple of things to talk about briefly to catch the blog up.

Super Bowl: I was not really cheering for either team, I like them both. However, the commentary about New Orleans Katrina catastrophe caused me to make the following potentially offensive statement. “If we listen to the news and all the puff pieces, when the Saints win the victory will spontaneously re-build all the broken houses downtown and the suffering of Katrina will be forgotten.” Seriously, I’m happy for New Orleans, but let’s not tie a natural disaster to a professional sporting event.

MLS CBA dispute: It seems like every sporting division is having labor disputes or struggling to get a new CBA done lately. However, Major League Soccer should not be one. It is a World Cup year, USA is in a bid for a future world cup and the owners stand to gain from a USA bid. I’m not saying they have to agree to a plan that will make them lose money. However, they WILL lose money if no plan is agreed upon. Unfortunately, they realize the players will lose more out of a strike or lockout than the owners will. And that’s where we are right now.

Winter Olympics: This may be blasphemous but I can’t get behind any sport that uses subjective judging as the criteria for victory. This includes half-pipe snowboarding. I like watching those sports, but I care less about who wins and more about the entertainment value. Curling is another sport I just have a hard time watching because I have this vague feeling that if I practiced I could be on the Olympic team. Look, I can rub a sponge broom back and forth on the ice real fast, it wouldn’t take that much learning to figure out how to do it so that the stone travels far enough to clunk the other team’s stone out of the target area.

Speaking of Winter Olympics, the starring sport final is on right now. USA v Canada in Hockey. I’ll be back more often. The stasis is over, but for now U S A U S A!

-Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment